Monday 23 July 2012

Chapter 1.15 A Recommendation

Drea and Leon, my two darlings.



Alexander and I had decided to give them names that both meant courage. Sometimes I wonder if I deserved the two of them at all, they were both so good. Right from the start they slept right through the night. After my maternity leave was up, Victoria said I could take them into the base with me. She had a nursery there for her twins, so she saw no reason that Drea and Leon couldn’t use it as well. According to Ariel it was Victoria’s version of an apology, I didn’t believe that, since before she had the guts to ask if she could have blood from the two of them.

“I’ve been talking to Victoria,” Alexander said, as were we going to pick up Drea and Leon.                           “What about?” I questioned.                                                                                                                                             “About testing them for signs of exposure to Project Air. Before you say anything, I think it’s a good idea just to test them. Sometimes you need to know things, just to make sure,” he said, frowning as he held Drea.
                                                                                                                                                                           I was going to shout at him but then I stopped myself he had obviously put a lot of thought into it and maybe he was right. If they were affected I would want to know, I doubted it but then again if Victoria had asked, Nicholas probably thought it was possible they were.                                                                                    ”When their a year old, and just one blood test,” I told him.


“Deal,” he agreed.                       

“Victoria, Mayflower needs to talk to you,” I said, walking into her office. She wasn’t there; I looked around, noticing a pen on the ground. I went over to pick it up, and something on her computer caught my eye. I know it was a bad thing to do, but it’s not like I purposely saw it in the first place.

The name Jayden Smith caught my eye and then the fact Angel Darvill was underneath it.  The document was dated back to when I had started at the base. I only got to read one line before I heard a sound. Angel Darvill carries the recommendation of Jayden Smith, to work with Project Air.  I quickly put the pen in its place and turned to face Victoria.                                                                                                
“Angel, what are you doing?” she asked suspiciously.
                                                                                                      
“Mayflower wanted to see you and I just put a pen back it was on the floor,” I explained.                                              “I see,” she said pushing pass me, “you can tell her I’m on my way.”                                                                            

I nodded and headed out, but the questions were buzzing around in my head. Had I been recommended to work here and why by Jayden Smith? If he was my mother’s friend, how would he know I wanted to work at the base? He didn’t have to I realized, there were lots of doctors here. Though why Project Air? It was obviously dangerous, but Braden had pushed me towards the dangerous as well. They had both wanted me to know about Project Air, but I didn’t have a clue why.  I need to stop I realized, I had made a promise and I wasn’t going to change that now.

“So you were serious when you said small,” Ariel said as she came in.
“Yes, maybe on their 5th birthday I’ll go big,” I told her.

  Drea and Leon were turning one and I had only invited Ariel, Livvy, Issac and Daniel. It seemed weird they had been around for a year. Life had basically progressed the same, I guess since I refused to break my promise to Alexander.                                                                                                                                 “That’s a deal now,” she said.                                                                                                                                                


“So its all done,” I said holding a screaming Leon to me.

They had just had their blood test and well Drea didn't notice it at all, for Leon having a blood test was the end of the world.                                            
Angelica nodded, “I’ll call you when I get the results back. Though to be honest I think this is Nicholas grasping at straws.”
                                                                                                                                                                        Alexander frowned and said, “He’s not getting anywhere that’s why he’s using Victoria isn’t it.”                             “I guess Project Air doesn’t work in small doses,” Angelica told him nodding.                                                                  

Alexander muttered, “Sometimes I wish he had died,” then walked out.                                                              I mouthed sorry to Angelica and then followed him.                                                                                                                        

“What was that?” I asked when we got home.                                                                                                                    “I’m just sick of this all and I’m worried. If Nicholas isn’t getting anywhere then  he’ll want to use Victoria to do something bad,” Alexander said.                                                                                    
“What happened when you saw Nicholas?” I asked slowly.
                                                                                                
“He just yelled at me, like it was my fault. He’s crazy, he’s lost his mind. He’s obsessed with finding a way to live forever. I don’t even know who he is anymore,” Alexander said annoyed.                                                                This worried me through it all Alexander stayed calm. I’d never seen him like this, was it even possible that someone that was supposed to be dead could cause this much trouble?                                          
“I’m taking my job back at Project Air,” he said finally.
“But I thought,” I started but Alexander interrupted me ,” Victorias up to something and it needs to stop.”                                                                                                                                                                                                 ”But I thought we weren't looking into it,” I said confused.
                                                                                                                                  
“No you’re not I am,” Alexander said and the way he said made me decide not to argue.


I wasn’t happy with being excluded out of this Project Air thing, so I decided to ask Angelica the question that had been bugging me.                                                                                                                               “Was I recommended to work here by Jayden Smith?” I asked, Angelica stopped a little shocked.                                                                                                                                                                She sighed and said, “You know you’ve got a really bad knack for finding things out that you shouldn’t. Yes and that’s all I’m going to say.”                                                                                                                   “Okay, that’s all I want to know,” I said, although it was a lie, there were lots of things I now wanted to know. Yet, I refrained deciding that if Braden Smith ever came back I would ask him about everything. I knew how unlikely that was so I didn’t have a problem with making that promise to myself.

Ariel was upset with having to work on the normal side, but she thought it was good that Alexander and Victoria would be able to talk again. I felt bad about the fact that they were probably never going to be friends again. Which I found sad, when I everyone talked about how close they use to be. Another thing Nicholas had messed up I guessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment