Tuesday 12 June 2012

Chapter 1.6 Its a Matter of Conscience

I woke up around noon the next day. I was still pretty tired but I forced myself to get up. The more I thought about what Alexander said, the more I was convinced he hadn't told me the whole truth. Some things didn't make complete sense. Like why Angelica was my doctor, or why Maragret had said Nicholas wasn't at the base, yet the way Alexander said it, he made it sound like Nicholas was here. Maybe he just forgot to mention that he had gone away for a bit or something like that. I didn't really want to be believe that Alexander was lying to me and I decided then, that I wouldn't. After all, shouldn't I be worried about the fact I might drop dead soon.

I got myself ready to go out, knowing that Olivia deserved to see me. Considering I didn't know where I was, I decided to walk to the house.

It took me a long time, but it did refresh me. I walked in and was confronted by Olivia who looked well nervous. It was the kind of look she used to get when she used to copy my maths homework. "What are you doing back?," she asked.
"I thought you would be happy to see me," I said, just a little offended.

"I am silly, its just the person on the phone said I wouldn't see you this soon. I just don't want you getting worse, is all," she said in a high pitched voice.
"Livvy, your lying I can tell. Why don't you want me to be here?," I asked, narrowing my eyes.
"Thats crazy," she muttered, nervously looking over her shoulder. I followed her eye movement to a pile of clothes on the floor. 
"Livvy, is someone here?," I said, wondering why I hadn't guess it before.
"Yes, oh Angel. I've been seeing someone. I haven't told you because I know your going to judge me," she said, speaking fast.
"Come on, how bad can it be. Its not like your dating Issac Tate," I joked.

Livvy gulped looking down, "Your not," I yelled, angry.

"I knew you were going to judge. He's changed," she said quietly.
"People like him, don't change," I said storming out.


I guess it didn't suprise me that much. Olivia was the forgiving type. She always believed that people had a reason for doing things and nobody was just plain bad. Issac Tate, to me was plain bad. When I was a kid, he thought it was funny to make fun of how I killed my mother. Everyone in school knew about my nickname Angel the murderer. Even though a lot of people at school didn't bother about it, alot did. It made my school life unbearable. He even made the boy I liked ask me out, only to ditch me and prank me. He never changed, even on graduation day, he put a whoopie cushion on my chair. Even if he had change, what would Olivia even see in him.

I found a note from Alexander sitting on the table. It said he had been in and figured that I had gone to see Olivia. I knew I needed to talk to her about my new house but I really couldn't be bothered. At least I was moving into a house that wasn't filled with bad memories and I actually really liked my new house. It was small, but it wasn't really any smaller than my old house. It also depressed me to know that Olivia my best friend wasn't going to be here for me anymore. Don't get me wrong, she would always be my best friend but I just knew this would mean we wouldn't be as close as before. She would always have to chose between Issac and I. Even at her wedding, even though I would be her bridemaid, she would still be chosing between the two of us.

I sat down, feeling a headache coming on.

The feeling I had just had was the weirdest feeling, I had felt like I could actually see her wedding. It was like the gut feeling I use to have but stronger. I shook my head, I had obviously been asleep to long and now my imagination was running wild. I took out my phone and called Livvy. "Hey, sorry about before I guess I owe him a chance. I just...wish you had told me," I said, knowing with every word I was lying.

"I know and your right you had every right to judge with everything he put you through," Olivia replied. This made me angry, she knew that to well. Olivia was the person I would cry all night to and she still went and got together with...him.
"I guess its a matter of conscience, you shouldn't ever have to see him. My conscience on the other hand says I should give him a chance. Trust me though he won't ever be at the house while your here," she said.
"Its okay, I got a promotion. I'm offically a recruit now, so I get a house in military village. So we'll have to sort out some paperwork and the house will be yours," I said, in a way happy. I didn't want to just sell that house it had to much history to it. At least it would go to someone who could appericate it.
"I'm going to miss you, although at least I'll get to see military village," Olivia said.
"Yeah, I guess you will. I'm going go now though I'm really tired," I told her.


When I put the phone down I heard a knock at the door. I opened it to a young girl I had never seen around before. "Hello," I said rather guarded.
"Hey, I'm Ariel Graham, can I come in?," she asked, basically walking pass me into the house.

I will admit, she wasn't what I expected from Alexander's little sister. She sounded so happy and she walked with a bounce to her step.
"Yeah, sure. Do you want something to eat or drink?," a little unsure of what she was actually doing here.

"No, I'll be quick, your probably tired. Since your a recruit now, which deserves a congraulations by the way. Your finally one of us, you probably worked out we are not the most ordinary of military bases and we have this like age-old ritual for newbies. You basically get to have dinner with us, the Grahams and Chambers. Its like a welcome from the two oldest families. Which I super excitied about by the way, because I've heard so much about you. I'm sorry I'm rambling again aren't I. Its tomorrow night, I'll pick you," she said taking a big breath as she finished.

I was taken a back by how unalike her and Alexander were.
"I'm really looking forward to it," I said putting on a smile.
 "Yay, I'm so glad. Although Victoria won't be able to come, she's been so busy with work. You can't blame her though she just lost the love of her life," she said for the first time looking a little bit upset.

"That's fine. I understand," I said slowly. Although it wasn't entirely true, she was starting to feel like the mystery woman I was never going to met.
"Good, anyway I best go. So seven tomorrow. Its so nice to met you," she smiled and then she hugged me.


I watched her go and just couldn't believe that was Ariel, it was just not right.

I wasn't exactly sure if I was excited to go tomorrow, but it wasn't like I had a choice and the Grahams that I had met all seemed really nice, well minus Nicholas.

No comments:

Post a Comment